INNER LIGHT CHOIR DIRECTOR OPENING FOR 2016-17
Position: Inner Light Choir Director
The Inner Light Choir is excited to announce our search for a new director as we look forward to an era of great music starting in August 2016. The choir is a central part of Inner Light Ministries, founded by Rev. Deborah L. Johnson. We are a thriving and diverse spiritual community located in Soquel, California.
The choir envisions a spiritually empowered world and aims to connect people to each other and the Divine through the healing power of music. We are seeking a new Director who has a strong musical presence, and the choir welcomes blending the new Director’s style and preferences with our own solid traditions and large repertoire of New Thought and Traditional Gospel Music.
The Choir Director is a key staff position at Inner Light, responsible for the direction and governance of the choir. Acting as the spiritual and vocal leader and facilitator, the
Director ensures the choir embodies and delivers their musical repertoire with excellence, high energy and Oneness. In addition to directing the choir at Sunday Services, the Director works in collaboration with the Music Director, Rev. Deborah and the choir leadership team to:
- Select the repertoire for the season and design a rehearsal process that ensures the choir is fully prepared to co-minister with the House Band and Rev. Deborah for
each singing date.
- Arrange or obtain choir parts from sheet music or recordings and provide practice materials
- Oversee the vocal development of the choir and its growing capacity to fully embody the songs so listeners hear, see and feel the healing power of music.
- Work with the Music Director and the soloist coordinator to select, develop and support soloists.
- Work with the Music Director and the choir leadership team to design, prepare and produce our annual spring concert.
- Facilitate weekly choir rehearsals and oversee the many volunteers who insure a smooth operation of the choir.
- Design and offer two Music Ministry classes per year to prepare new people to participate in the choir. If the Director chooses to teach these classes, s/he will
receive 50% of participant income.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities required
- At least 5 years experience working with or collaboration with a choir in a leadership position
- Able to direct and manage a large scale choir, and facilitate large group dynamics
- As a leader, demonstrates music as ministry with the intent to heal and transform
- New Thought or Universal Spirituality perspective who can express an inclusive message
- Be able to build a close working relationship with the Music Director, Staff and Reverend in service of the greater good for Inner Light Ministries
- Be able to read charts
- Experience collaborating effectively with bands
- Able to work with diverse vocal abilities to align and unify
- Experience with choral arranging, including creating arrangements for new parts
- Lead Tuesday evening rehearsals and Choir Sundays at the Inner Light Center
- Must be well organized, self-motivated, and detail oriented, with excellent interpersonal skills
Preferred, but not required:
- Past choir director experience is preferred, but not required
- Participation in a spiritual community or community-based choir
- Familiarity with New Thought and Traditional Gospel Music
- Have the ability to read sheet music
- Key competencies and characteristics
- Excellent written, oral, email communications
- Attention to detail and accuracy, and maintains standards of excellence
- Collaborates well
- Reliable, on-time and keeps commitments
- Holds the intent of music as ministry to uplift, heal and transform
- Positive, energetic, and upbeat
- Stakeholder who wants Inner Light to succeed
- Service minded to the relationship to Inner Light Ministries
- Maintains an empowering context and possibility consciousness
This position averages 10-12 hours per week, August through June, most of which can be performed remotely. Salary range is $1000 – $1200/month, depending on experience.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please follow these steps:
- Read the Inner Light Choir Director Announcement Document
- Send an email with your resume, cover letter and three references from professional and personal references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include this exact phrase in your Subject line: ILChoir 052016 in order to be considered for this position
- We will contact candidates within a week to schedule initial interviews
Feel free to include any other supplemental information to help us get to know you better- a video or audio clip, list of your preferred repertoire, etc.